Clocks, Watches/No Chime

Question
Hello Mr. Newman,  I have owned a Grandmother Clock that was made by the New England Clock Co. since 1985.  It has a 1984 Franz Hermle movement that keeps great time, but will no longer chime.  It has a choice of three different chimes along with a silent position.  I read where you should not choose a chime while it is sounding a chime.  Perhaps this was done and is now no longer working.  Any thoughts or advice as to how to get the bells to ring again??

Answer
Craig, first of all, the reason the chimes should not be changed during a chiming cycle is that one of the  chime hammer tails could be caught and stuck on a chime drum cam or pin.  If this is the case, look in the side or back of the clock hood and check the chime hammers.  At rest, all hammers should be in alignment, resting about 1/8" from the chime rods.  If one is back in the cocked position, carefully pull it back further to break the jam.  It should release.  Sometimes the minute hand has to be moved around to the hour to active the chime again, or the chime drum can be gently rocked back and forth.

If everything seems to be in order, and the clock hasn't been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years, it could be that the oils have become old and gummy and/or there are worn parts.  Usually the first symptom in this situation is that the chimes slow down and finally stop.  Of course the strike will not function either because it is dependent upon the chime to complete their hour chime.  The only thing that can be done is to have an experienced clockmaker service it.  That would be to test, clean, inspect, repair in necessary, oil and test.

Hit the wrong button to sign my name.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman