Clocks, Watches/hermle 340_020

can you tell me if there is a shutoff for the strike chime on this movement. also about the slow ast adjustment of the balance wheel. thank you

Larry, the Hermle 340-020, as with other models has had a few versions, mostly internal.  I don't know when the provided a silent lever, but the later models will come with or without one, depending on the manufacturer's requests or by verifying with a supplier.  To activate this lever there needs to be a slot in the dial on the left side of the "9" for an arm to stick out.  I have seen a few of these movements in wall clocks without pendulums that had a wire attached to the lever and dropped down below the dial so the silent function could be activated.  Also, it the lever could be activated by opening the case back and accessing it.  This is not normally done, but could be.  I have never seen these in catalogs, but you can check with some of the suppliers I use, Timesavers, Merritts Antique's, Black Forest Imports, Mile High and Ronell.  The can be Googled and most have an Online catalog.  If you can't find one through the suppliers, I can probably furnish you with an assembly.  My shop email address is below.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)