Clocks, Watches/Pearl Grandfather Clock

Hi John,
I bought a Pearl Grandfather clock at a yard sale. When I went to set it up I discovered that the little suspension spring or whatever it is called was broken. I got another one but I can't figure out how to install it. It's what the pendulum hooks onto. Can you help? It is a Pearl, has Temps Fugit where tell moon dials usually are. 451-050h on mechanism. Had 83 above that. Not sure if it's the year? 114cm/60. Hope that's enough info.
Thanks, Patti

Hermle 451
Hermle 451  
Patti, that is enough information!  Thank you.  You are correct, the 83 indiacates the movment was manufactured in 1983.  

The suspension spring is attached to the horizontal suspension post with a tapered pin or a small thumb screw.  From the suspension spring hangs a leader (or hanger.)  It is about 6" long and goes through the foot or pin on what we call the crutch, which comes out from the top back of the movement.  The pendulum hangs from the leader.   I have attached a photo of a later model 451 and shown 3 types of leaders that have been used on this movement with minor revisions over the years.  If you don't have a leader, look in the bottom of the clock.  It might be there.  If not, send me a photo of the back of the movement and I will determine which leader you will need.  My shop email address is below.  If you do have the leader and cannot get it hooked up, still send me a photo of the movement, leader and pendulum and I will send you a photo on how it is configured.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)