Clocks, Watches/urgos uw03015b

my emperor grandfather clock has a urgos uw03015b movement in it.clock is approx. 25 yrs old. It is running extremely fast.I have lengthen the pendulum as far as it will go also made adapter to drop pendulum 1 inch clock still runs extremely fast.Is there anything I can do or do I need a new movement?

Thank you in advance

Ron Wolfe

Ronald, you didn't tell me if it has been running okay and then just started running fast.  Normally you would need to know how fast, like 5 minutes per hour or day or week.  Then you would check to see how fast it was running after you extended the pendulum one inch.  Has it been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years?  If it just started running fast, I would think that the escapement has failed, like the teeth on the escape wheel have worn and the escapement is skipping teeth. If nothing has been changed, like the pendulum, that is about the only thing that can cause a movement to increase in speed.  There could be other problems, but the worn escape wheel or its adjustment is the most common.  If you can hear the tick tock, listen to see if there are any skips or unusual sounds coming from the escapement.  If it is very intermittent, you might not be able to catch it.  If that is the problem, it probably cannot be corrected by an adjustment.  The escape wheel might need to be replaced.  I believe that the Urgos* escape wheel has been changed, but there are quite a few of the NOS (New Old Stock) units still around.  They are a little hard to find, but I know of some possible sources.  Also, it would take an experienced clockmaker to install and adjust one, and I believe the wheel comes as a single part and would have to be mounted on the original arbor, in laymen's terms, shaft or axle.

*The Urgos company ceased making clocks quite a few years ago, but Hermle bought the parts, tooling and designs and is now producing some of the models.  The original UW03015B number is replaced by the number UW03124.  I'm not sure what the "B" revision is but we can find that out if you have to replace your movment.

Let me know what you find.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)