Clocks, Watches/Clock type

Front plate
Front plate  
QUESTION: I have a "Beacon"31 days clock. On the front plate it shows the text:
31 dagen (in Dutch) and on above the center 3 times a kind of W.
Can you telle me more about this clock. I suppose it is not a Walthman.

ANSWER: Hans, that is a very interesting question.  Most 31 day clocks I have run across are Asian.  The dial has characteristics of an Asian clock.  However, I have never seen one with Dutch names on it.  I am wondering  if it might be Asian for export to the Netherlands?  

Another interesting question you have concerns it "not a Walthman."  Did you mean Waltham?  Waltham was an American clock company whose major product was watches.  The did make some car and boudoir clocks actually using large watch works.  Then they made electric clocks, or other companies bought the name and you can still buy quartz clock under that name.  I have worked on wind up clocks with the Waltham name on them that were made in Asia, but I don't know if they actually use the name under license or not.

It would help if you could send me a photo of the front of the movement with the dial removed.  I will also send an inquiry to my Internet Clocksmiths Group to see if my assessment is correct or not.  If I can see that I can probably make a better guess. If you will please send it to my shop email address below I can look at the photo better.   I Look forward to hearing back from you.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

QUESTION: I have send you the requested photos to  
Do you already have an answer?

Hans, I checked back on my emails as far as the original question and answer.  I did not find your email.  Would you please resend it?  If you will, check my email address for the correct spelling:

John Newman

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)