Clocks, Watches/Hermle mantle clock

Question
I have a clock that has "Viking" on the face along with "TEMPUS FUGIT" and the movement identification is "HERMLE 1217".  It is a beautiful clock, looks like walnut, and stands about 16 inch tall. The movement is quartz and I found an article that said it, the movement, was introduced about 1981. The article spoke highly of the quality of the movement, supposedly would possibly lose about a minute a year.  It inferred that current movements were definitely inferior to the 1217. It has four different programmable chime choices. However I have lost the article, somewhere in the internet maze and am unable to retrieve.

I am interested in any information about this clock including its worth. The clock is in excellent condition.

Thanks in advance

Answer
Bob, most clocks I have seen with the Viking name on them have been from the now defunct Viking company in Foley, Alabama, moving up the road to Fairhope a few years before they closed.  On most clocks with arch dials at the top without the moving moon dial have a globe with the phrase "Tempus Fugit".  It is Latin for "Time Flies."

I do not remember seeing any quartz bracket clocks made by Viking at that time, but they very well could have.  The Asian companies have "adopted" other clock names, so I'm not sure if it was Viking in Fairhope.  Having the Hermle movement in it, my thinking would be that it was a Viking/Foley Product.  But if there is any identification showing Foley or Fairhope, would you let me know.  I do learn something new every day.

I am rather sure the Hermle 1217 has been discontinued for some years now.  I remember replacing a couple of those units when they were brought in not working.  It was a good movement, but I don't know the reasoning in the article you read that other quartz movements were "inferior." Being programmable, it would have been more costly to manufacturer, but the general offering of quartz movements are about the same as far as timekeeping is concerned.  A few years back, a radio controlled quartz movement was introduced, but there have been some limitations to picking up the controlling signal from Ft. Collins, Colorado.  That and the fact that the standard quartz movements, even the least expensive ones, are very accurate. Quartz movements are considered "throw-away" units, as is with many of today's products.  The manufacturers do not furnish parts or diagnostics, and the labor fees for diagnosing and servicing one rapidly reaches or exceeds the cost of a replacement unit.  In case yours ever goes bad, there is an excellent similar unit called  "Quad" which is programmable for 4 different chime and strike modes, volume control and night off function. And it is much simpler to program.

Your Viking quartz clock would not be an item of interest collectors would go for, so it would not have much more value than the general used quartz movements found today. As outlined in my Allexperts Personal Bio, I am not a certified appraiser and do not give values on the Internet.  Sorry I could not help you more.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman