Clocks, Watches/Jauch clock weights

QUESTION: I have a grandfather clock that was given to me with a Jauch PL78 CM movemet I got it with out weights or pendulum or chains. Got chains that fit but need to know how heavy the weights should be and of the three weights which one is for the clock movement. Also how heavy should the pendulum be. It runs but the pendulum does not stay swinging. Thank you for any help you could give me, Bob.

ANSWER: Jauch has been out of business for quite some time and information is scarce. From the best of my knowledge the center weight should be about 4.8 lbs. There are many other reasons a clock might not run. It could be worn out or in need of adjusting.
When you swing the pendulum do you hear the clock tick?
If so, are the ticks evenly spaced in time?

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your help. The center weight weighs about 4 1/2 lbs, the movement does run and I can watch the timing gears and is does move sometimes for a minute,sometimes for a hour but it always stops. I have tried to adjust the rocked on the timing gear with no help. You did not answer my question about the pendulum weight, can it be too light, too short or too long?      
Why would the weight not power the clock gear that the rocker piece controls. I see nothing that seems warn or out of sorts. Thanks again for your help, Bob.

It sounds like you have the correct amount of weight on the clock. While adding more weight might get the clock to stay running you don't want to use more than intended because it will cause the movement to wear out more quickly.
There are several things that can cause a clock to not stay running. In my previous message I asked if you can hear it tick and if the ticking is evenly spaced in time. This is called the "beat" of the clock. If the ticking is not evenly spaced in time the clock may stop.
Every gear in the clock is on a shaft. Every shaft goes through the front and back plate. The point where the shafts go through the plates is called a pivot hole. Pivot holes are where clock wear out. By examining the pivot holes we can determine the health of the movement. Worn pivot holes can cause a movement to stop.
There are many other possible causes: Bent hand shaft or gear shaft, jammed lever, etc....  The movement may need to be inspected by a clock repair person to locate the cause of the problem.  

Clocks, Watches

Michael Radi

Clock repair and clock parts questions.

I have been professionally repairing clocks for 17 years. I owned and ran a clock shop for 6 years and I am the owner of the clock parts supply company;

National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

High school graduate, some college, graduate of Niles Bryant School of Piano Tuning and repair.

I perform about 20 clock repairs per week.