Clocks, Watches/Waltham pendulum

Question
We have a Waltham wind type wall clock(31 day chime I think) here that apparently has the wrong pendulum with it. When pendulum is adjusted to it's lowest depth the clock will run fast plus the brass bob isn't centered in the glass front cabinet. It sets approx. 2 inches higher than where it should by my estimate. How can one know which pendulum to order? The one we have with it is approx. 8 1/2 inch total length which is including wood shaft, threaded rod, and brass hook. Can I order the same thing I have only approx. 2 inches longer? I don't even know if it really calls for this type pendulum in the first place. I know I don't have much to go on here but any input on what to do in my situation would greatly be appreciated. Thanks..

Answer
Larry, what you have is an Asian 31-day clock that strikes the hour count and once on the half-hour.  There is no connection with the original American Waltham clock/watch company.  Generally, clock supply houses do not carry Asian clock parts.  I think you are correct in thinking the pendulum did not come with the clock.  There are used pendulums available, and I will be glad to help you find one.  I might even have one in my clock "boneyard."  First I need is a clear photo of the front of the clock.  I will need the measurement from the bottom of the suspension rod to the inside bottom of the case.  The suspension rod is a wire to which the pendulum would attach.  It usually has a small horozontal bar at the bottom on which the pendulum hangs.  The type of pendulum that hangs from it would have a metal top hook with a slot in it.  Some hangers just have a hook at the bottom and the pendulum top hook would have a hole in it to fit on the suspension rod.  Let me know what type of suspension rod you have.  It might be that the two do fit together, but the pendulum is too short.  If it is a fit, include a photo of the pendulum also, and one of the back.  Send the photos to my shop email address below.  We'll go from there.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Clocks, Watches

John Newman