Clocks, Watches/1050-020 Howard Miller

Question
1050-020
1050-020  
Mr. Newman,  I have this movement out of the case. The problem is it will not strike the 1/4 hours or the hour of the day. Is there something I can look for around the 1/4 cam or the snail area? I know if I lift the arm behind the snail by hand it will strike. Any help would be appreciated.  Tom

Answer
Thomas, the chime pin/cam and locking plate are in the correct positions and I would assume the chime mainspring is wound.  I cannot see the strike gathering pallet, but as you told me, if you can lift the rack hook and the rack drops and the strike runs, it should be in sync and not stop the chime.  Has the clock been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years?  It could be that the lubricants have become old and gummy and/or there are worn parts.  You might want to check the chime hammers and make sure they are all aligned around 1/16" to 1/8" from the chime rods at rest.  If one is out of alignment, it could be stalling the chime function.  Try carefully running the minute hand up to the hour and when it clicks, gently try to roatate the chime drum in the running direction (CW). If it starts but then stalls out, I would think it is old oil or wear.  If it doesn'n move at all, it could be a sync problem.  I really can't think of anything else. It might need servicing by an experienced clockmaker.  But before you take it to anyone, get back with me and tell me what you find.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman