Clocks, Watches/alaron clock

Question
My husband was given a clock from his grandmother and it is an alaron c-25 and its a 21 day clock. I was wondering if it is a rare clock or not because I can not find much information on the internetfoe it and how often it should be wound?

Answer
Casey, the clock you have was manufactured in Asia, Korea, I think, and I believe you will find that it is a 31 day clock rather than 21.  I have never seen a 21 day clock, as clocks are usually designed for a little longer than a certain time period.  For example, a one day clock should run 30 hours, a one week clock should run 8 days, a month clock should run at lease 32 days, and an anniversary clock 400 days.  I have seen the Asian month clocks labeled as 30, 31 and 32 days.

Unfortunately, your clock is not rare, as they made tens of thousands of them over the years.  The materials used in the manufacture were not the best and we do find most that have stopped running have broken parts or have just worn out. To get one of them running reliably, they usually have to be completely restored, and the customers are reluctant to put that much into them.  However, there are many that have a lot of sentimental value and the clock owners want the work done.

You can find a lot of Alarons on eBay.  Go to eBay and enter "Alaron clock".  There are some very high priced listings on the clock with "detailed" descriptions.  But look on the "Completed Listings" down on the left hand side of the listings page.  This will give you an idea of what they are selling for.  The way I understand it is that the prices in green are the actual selling prices.  The ones in green with a slash through them mean that a lower price was offered and accepted.  It looks like most have been around $50.  But just remember, yours probably has sentimental value.

I hope this helps a little.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman