Clocks, Watches/Chain for B&D Limited Tall Clock

Question
I have a tall clock. On that back of the movement are the following: Stamped icon of a stein, or possibly a church or castle. Taller than
wide. Hard to see; letters K A D 5 / 1 on a brass tag mounted center and below the icon; the word Germany to the left of the tag; B & D Limited stamped below the KAD tag; 2050706p stamped below the B & D Limited stamp.
The clock is missing the chains for the weights. I am trying to determine the correct type of chain to install but am not finding much information. I find replacement chains with 38, 40, 45, 46.5, 48 and 61 LPF and a wide variety of link styles.
When my father had this clock, the chains would often break, letting the weight fall, breaking through the floor of the clock.
I'd like to find the right type of chain to avoid that. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Dave, I answered your question last night and something happened that it not send.  Sorry for the delay.

I believe the information on the KAD tag might have been put on after the movement was manufactured, as I cannot identify any of the numbers.  It is a little difficult to select the correct chains for a clock when the originals are missing.  In my shop I have probably 10 or 15 different LPF chains.  If a chain is off even 1/2 LPF, it will not work correctly.  I have to try quite a few to determine the correct count.  There is a published formula for determining the number, but I have never has to do it.  You can Google "Cuckoo Clock chain fitting - Perpetual PC's".  That link refers to cuckoo clocks, but I think it will work on most chain selection.  The problem is determining the effective diameter of the sprocket. I believe it is where the chain actually rests on the sprockets.  This could require the breakdown of the clock to measure the sprocket wheel.  The only other option would be to find a clockmaker with a supply of chains that you could test.  If all of this is not possible, if you can measure the number of sprocket teeth and the overall diameter of the sprockets, I could determine the approximate count and send you some sample chains.   In the meantime I will send an inquiry to my Internet Clocksmiths members and see if anyone has a reference of the numbers and an answer for us.  If you will, please reply to my shop email address below, as it would be easier to exchange photos in needed and also free up my Allexperts questin queue, as I have a limited number per day.

Another point to your question, the reason for the chains breaking is that the originals might have been made of solid brass which could have fatigued during the years.  Most of the modern ones are now made of brass plated steel.  Or maybe the weights are overweight.  Sometimes we find these on clocks someone has tried to get to run with heavier weight.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Dave, I haven't redeived any replies yet.  Just wanted to let you know.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman