Clocks, Watches/clock repair wound too tight

Question
QUESTION: Somewhere in the passing around of my clock the mechanism has gotten too tight and will not loosen.  I may just haven't had the patience to work the pendulum long enough to free the mechanism.  Suggestion:

ANSWER: Burllynn, winding a clock should not cause it to stop.  It can be overwound so tightly that the key will deform or break or something breaks in the clock, but that is very rare.  The usual scenario is that someone winds it and it doesn't run, so they wind it a little more.  Then someone else will really try for the last possible click and it is wound all the way before breaking, such as a spring letting go.  If the clock was in running condition it should have run after a couple of turns from being run down.  So running the pendulum will not solve the problem.  I would need to know the make and model of the movement, whether it is a floor, wall or mantel clock, and a little history, like the last time it ran, how long it has been since it was last serviced, etc.  If the lubricants are not old and there are no worn parts, it could be that it is just out of beat.  In beat means that you hear a tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it goes tick..tock......tick..tock, it is out of beat and will stop.  When I know the information above I might be able to help you.  If not, then it might need to be taken to an experienced clockmaker.  Get back with me on the information above.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: On the back of mechanism there is a circle 5/16 dia embossed into brass inside the circle are smaller circles around perimeter of larger circle  inside each of most of the small circles are numbers.  
on each side and attached to the larger are wings.  under this symbol is the number 23080.  I'll send a pic as soon as I figure out how.

Answer
Okay, I'll look for the photos.  In the meantime, can you send me the other information I mentioned as far as the history of the clock running, etc?  If you will, please reply to my shop email address below.  Tha way it will free up the Allexperts question queue, as I have a limited number per day.  Thanks.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman