Clocks, Watches/Emperor Clock 501M Movement

Question
I built an Emperor Clock that uses the 501 M Tubular Chime Movement.  I completed the clock in 1986.  It has run very well since I completed it.  However, a problem just recently came up.  The clock now runs for a short time (approximately 30 to 45 minutes)and then stops.  

The weights that drive the mechanism are all in place and appear to move as they should.  I assume the mechanism needs lubrication, but am not sure what to lubricate or what lubricant to use.  I have no experience maintaining clocks (other than my experience building this and one other Emperor clock that used a different movement).

If this sounds like it might be a simple problem, I would appreciate some advice on what to look for and how to approach this situation.  If this sounds like it needs an expert, if you could give any advice about how to find/qualify someone to work on my clock, I would very much appreciate it.  I live in northeast Ohio and there are numerous people listed on the Internet but I have no way to determine who may be capable and who may be nothing but a potential problem.

Thank you

Answer
Lou, the tubular chime movements require quite a bit more service (diagnos, cleaning, repair and oiling) than the chime rod types.  If the clock has not been serviced since 1986, it could have old gummy lubricant and/or some worn parts which would contribute to the problem. Unless you have had some experience in servicing these types, I normally do not recommend tackling a tubular type.  

However, as you did build the clock and know how to remove and replace the movement,you could use clock oil and lubricate the clock on all the pivot points and grease the sliding parts such as levers and cams.  You can obtain clock oil and grease from clock parts suppliers such as Timesavers, Merritts Antiques, Black Forest Imports, R&M Imports, Mile High and Ronell.  These are some To do a proper job the movement should be removed from the case and separated from the dial. For my general clock work I use the oil and grease found in the applicators that aren't the most expensive.  

I have checked my list of member of my Internet Clocksmiths Group and do not list anyone in your area.  I will check with an inquiry to see if I missed anyone.  If I do find someone I will get back with you.  The best way I can suggest to find a good clockmaker is to ask around and see if any of your friends or acquaintenances can recommend someone.  If I receive any replies from my group I will get back with you.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Lou I received a couple of replies from my Internet Clocksmiths Group:

Steve Shroyer  
The Cottage Clock Shop
405 North Union Street
Galion, OH 44833
419-468-5523  
www.cottageclockshop.com
steve@cottageclockshop.com

Bakers Clock Repair.  Damascus Ohio.  You will find him on an internet listing.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman