Clocks, Watches/Key for wall clock

Question
Hi, John,
I was winding my wall clock and the key broke.  It is a Waltham Regulator.  I can not find a socket or key to fit.  Do you know where I can get another?  I think it is brass.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Answer
Jim, the name Waltham Regulator indicates to me that it is probably an Asian 31 (or thereabouts) clock.  Most of their keys were the same, but some did vary.  Usually the keys were steel (most with black handles) because brass is not as strong and the 31 day clocks have very powerful mainsprings.  The only way to make sure that the key would fit would be to measure the distance across the flats of the winding arbor in the dial, which is sometimes rather difficult, and it should be measured in thousands of an inch such as 0.140". If it is too small it will not go on the winding arbor and if it is too big it will wear and or slip and can cause damage to the clock and injury to your hand.  The best way to get the right key it is to take it to a clockmaker and have it fitted.  Of course there is no clockmaker near you, you would have to order an assortment of keys and choose the correct on and send the others back.  If it comes to this and you can't measure the winding arbor flats or have a key fitted, get back with me at my shop email address below and I'll see if I can help you.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman