Clocks, Watches/movement identification help

I built grandfather clock in 1969 using what I believe was a mason and sullivan movement. It no longer chimes or strikes but keeps good time so I am thinking I might need to replace the movement. Stamped on the back plate is what looks like a toothed gear with the letters A over O K,under that logo in a radius is Original and something that looks like it starts with a K but can't make out the rest of it. Then it has Made in Germany and under that it has- No (0) Jewels unadjusted and under that is 8/69. I found a paper that  came with the movement that has the #s L50 and K/11-68. I hope you can ID this for me so I would know what movement I would need to replace it with if need be unless you have an idea of what may be wrong with it. It has been cleaned and oiled with clock oil. Thank you

Russell, I built my first clock in 1967.  It was a Mason and Sullivan school house clock.  I bought the plans, hardware kit, cut the wood and used the M&S movement (made by Hermle).  

The movement you have was made by Kieninger.  The logo is a gear surrounding the JKA inside.  The "JK" stands for Joseph Kieninger, the founder of the company and right now I'm not sure about the "A", but it could be Aldingen, the town in Germany where Kieninger is located.  Kieninger is now owned by the Howard Miller clock company, headquartered in Zeeland, Michigan.  I have some of the old M&S catalogs from around the late 1960's at my shop and I will check tomorrow to see if I can identify the movement and if it is still made today.  I will get back to you sometime tomorrow.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Russell, I could not find the M&S catalog that might have had the movement number you gave me.  I found a later onat in which they had changed their numbering system.  I'll keep looking.  If you can email a clear photo of the back of the movement to my shop email address below, I should be able to identify it.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)