Clocks, Watches/Pearl Mantel Grandfather clock

Question
I am with the Nassau Humane Society and we have a re-sale shop called Second Chance.  We received as a donation a Pearl Grandfather Clock, the mantel type.   It doesn't work.  it seems that someone wound it up too tight.  I have the key for it and it won't turn when inserted.   
I can manually get the chimes to work in the back and moving the hands to the quarter, half, three fourths and whole, it will chime those times as well.   I just can't get the clock to tick because it is wound too tight.     Is this something that would cost an arm and leg to repair?   I would love to be able to see the clock - it is beautiful and in excellent condition - sell to make some money for our animal shelter here in Fernandina Beach, FL.   

The numbers I have found on the brass back of the clock works says:
Pearl Grandfather Clock
Memphis, TN
Two (2) Jewels
350-020
Made in West Germany

Can you give me any insights into  what I have and would it be beneficial to have it repaired?>

Thanks for your input,
Penny Landregan

Answer
Penny, the movement in your clock was made by Hermle with the Pearl name put on it.  First, very seldom is a clock wound too tight to keep it from running, which is a characteristic of some watches.  If it was wound tightly and didn't run it could be that someone wound it tighter until it wouldn't wind any more.  Your model 350 uses either the earlier floating balance or later version with the balance wheel type.  There can be a few reasons that it won't run.  Make sure you are trying to wind it in the clockwise direction.  Some people do try to wind a clock in the wrong direction and, as it won't budge, think that is wound all the way tight. Not functioning can be a result of the old gummy lubricant and/or there are worn parts.  

Pearl hasn't been in business for quite a few years and the movement could be rather worn.  Usually the information on these movements has a date code on a line above the name.  It would be a 2-digit number such as 77, meaning it was manufactured in 1977.  In 1988 they changed to a alpha code such as "A" for 1988, "B" for 1989, etc.

The restoration of the movement could cost quite a bit.  I normally don't give prices on the Internet, but in my area the fee for restoring one of these movements is around $200 + parts.  Prices do vary in different areas, depending on the economy in the areas.  It would be up to you to get an estimate of a restoration and then decide if it would be worth it for your cause.  Normally, retailers (used products) will put a price on the clock to sell and then let the customer check on restoration prices.

I hope this helps a little.  I hope you do well in selling it for such a worthy and needed cause.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman