Clocks, Watches/clock time

We have a TOCHIGI TOKEI quartz clock made for Ethan Allen which has lately been running fast.  I have looked at the mechanism and see no obvious settings + or - to make an adjustment. any ideas?  It was given to us by our daughter and we love the sits on my office desk

David Nelson

Hi David,
There is not a timekeeping adjustment on quartz movements. They are not considered repairable because the internal parts are not sold separately and it is less expensive to replace the entire movement than it would be to pay someone to repair the defective one.
Here are a few considerations when choosing a replacement:
Does the minute hand press on or is it held on with a small nut?
If there is a threaded portion at the base of the hand shaft; how long is it?
What is the total shaft length?
What type battery does the movement use?
We have a video on the home page of our website explaining how to identify and replace a quartz movement. You can view it here:

If you need more help I would like to see photos along with answers to the above questions.
Thank you,

Clocks, Watches

Michael Radi

Clock repair and clock parts questions.

I have been professionally repairing clocks for 17 years. I owned and ran a clock shop for 6 years and I am the owner of the clock parts supply company;

National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

High school graduate, some college, graduate of Niles Bryant School of Piano Tuning and repair.

I perform about 20 clock repairs per week.