Clocks, Watches/Moving a grandfather clock

My grandmother is getting rid of everything in her house in preparation to sell it and move.  She has told me I can have the clock that my grandfather hand made.  I do not know what brand of clock it is.  Grandma is in Nebraska and I am in Indiana, so I have to go get it.  
Someone suggested that I have to take the clock apart to move it and can not lay it down.  Is this correct?  I intended on taking my truck and taking the weights off and wrapping it and putting it in the back of my truck under our cover so it is protected from the weather.  Am I off base?
thank you.

Cindy, you are not off base at all. Remove the weights and pendulum and wrap them separately.  Remove any loose item such as a finial (the decorative decorative piece on the top of the clock if it has one and is removable.)  Packing material such as bubble wrap should be inserted up in the chime rods and held with a tape such as painter's blue tape to keep them from vibrating while transporting the clock.  If you don't, it is very possible that they will stress and break off.  When you remove the pendulum secure the hanger with a piece of blue tape.  The hanger is the vertical arm on which the pendulum is attached.  Let me know whether the weights hang on chains or cables and I can give you further instructions on that.  I don't know how the clock was constructed, but on most modern clocks the movement is secured so the clock can be transported on its back.  Some of the antique clock movements were not secured and they have to be removed from the case prior to transporting them.  Use a few layers of blanket to pad the clock from the bed of the truck.  If it is possible, when you get to the clock, send me some photos and the brand of clock if you can, either by email or text, and you can call me also.  I would need one photo of the front of the clock and a couple showing the movement from the side or back as is accessible.  My clock shop email address is below.  I will be glad to walk you through the process.  Reply to my shop email address before you leave and I will give you my contact information. For confidentiality, I do not give or ask for personal contact information over the Internet.  I can also send you some photos of some of the things I have mentioned above.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)