Clocks, Watches/Heinz Jauch Inc

Question
I recently purchased a grandmother clock from a flea market and was wondering if you could tell me something about the manufacture.  When was he in the clock business, is he still in the business.  Where were the clocks manufactured.  My clock has on the back Heinz Jauch Inc and the numbers 77272 and 255 653.  Even if you could direct me to a place to find the information.  Thanks

Answer
Judy, the Jauch (pronounced something like, "yaok") Clock Company of course was German and I have heard that it was founded in the early 1920's.  Before I went to work for Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama in 1994, Erhard Jauch had turned the company over to Heinz Jauch, his nephew who was a former dentist.  Jauch clocks were manufactured in Germany, but they did send parts over to a small assembly plant in Daphne, Al, I believe mainly for the purpose of supplying Emperor.  But he did sell to others.  I had the occasion to visit with Dr. Jauch a few times, at his home (American), and at his assembly plant both a few miles from Emperor.

In the early to mid-1980's, Emperor phased to Hermle movements and a few years later Jauch stopped manufacturing clocks.  So most of the Jauch movements out there are at least 30 years old.  There is a history of wear with these movements, and usually the first problems will show up in the chime mechanism, slowing down and then ceasing to function.  By this time there is more wear in other areas of the movement.  I don't think that there are many clock shops that like to take them in for repair, as they have to be completely restored and customers do not want to spend that much on them.  However, I do find some that have been well maintained and are a pleasure to work on.  But I do more conversions that I do repairs on these movements. The conversion kits consist of a Hermle movement, hands, mounting shims and screws, pendulum top hook, and a heavier weight for the chime function.  If yours is running fine, that's great.  If you do have any problems with it and I might be able to help you diagnose any problems.  Just let me know.  

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman