Clocks, Watches/Mason & Sullivan

John, I befriended a 95 year old man about a year ago and he asked me if I could finish assembly of a grandfather clock he started long ago. Many parts of the case as well as hardware parts missing. Quite frankly, I don't really know if I can pull this off or not. The Label on the clock face is :Sessions, written on the box is :Moon Dial Tempus Fugic KLP 83 and other box markings include: "049833 and 80-301. The pendulum is Lyre style, engraved (Beautiful). The Movement is Kienger #Esu - 03 1.6cm and other box markings include: LaRoce 05K 116m. The plans he has are from Mason & Sullivan Co, 39 Blossom Ave, Osterville, MA Copyright 1962, Grandfather Clock F150B. For some reason I don't think these plans are for this movement because the "Mason" plans appear to be intended for someone to make all the wooden parts. The 3 Case parts (2 Sides & Door) that John has appear to me to be pre-manufactured for assembly. To make matters worse, there are no plans/instructions for assembly of the movement parts (Face to motor, etc)nor the case parts. If I could find out who made this "Clock Kit" it might be possible to acquire what's needed so I am wondering if I rang any bells while you were reading this?

Wayne, its good of you to offer to help out your friend.  I will do what I can to assist you.  You have given me a lot of manufacturer's names, so I will try to sort it out.  

Sessions was one of the major American clock companies from the mid to late 1800's through the early 1900's.  I don't know of any connection Sessions had with what I consider modern production clocks (since WWII).  The term "Tempus Fugit" is not a manufacturer but a phrase put in a globe on a clock arch dial when there is no moving moon dial.  "Tempus Fugit" is Latin for "Time Flies".  I do not recognize the KLP 83, although some manufacturers used a two digit number for the date a movement was made, so it might be 1983.  One of the German movement manufacturers is Kieninger and they are now owned by Howard Miller.  I do not recognize the #Esu-03 1.6cm.  Kieninger does make the KSU and MSU models.  I have never seen a listing of the ESU.  S. LaRose was a supplier of clock parts and has been out of business for quite a few years.  They did, as other companies do, purchase movements from manufacturers with their names imprinted on them.   The 05K 116cm would have been a Kieninger movement, as the 116cm movement was a standard pendulum length for them.  Mason and Sullivan, also out of business for quite a few years, did offer plans, kits and would use, I think, Kieninger, Urgos, Jauch and Hermle movements for their kits.  I do have some old M&S catalogs and will check to see if I have a listing for the F150B, whatever it might be.  Many kit manufacturers would provide kits with certain parts made and assembled such as doors, side frames, molding, finials and crowns.  As cases could use different movements, the assembly of the movement, dial and chime rod assemblies would be in a different set of instructions.

I think the best way for us to proceed is for you to let me know exactly what you have and we can determine if you have enough parts to finish this clock.  I do have plenty of clock hardware.  So, I will need photos of what you have, such as the movement, dial, chime rod assembly, weights, pendulum, case parts, and anything you think might help.  Please reply to my clock shop email address below as I can receive multiple photos and we can make further connections, such as by phone.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant

The Village Clocksmith
137 First St.
Prattville, Alabama 36067

Due to the work backlog I have at my clock shop and my commitment to answering Allexperts questions on a timely basis, I cannot answer other personal email questions immediately, but will try to answer as soon as I can.  Thank you for your patience.

Sorry, Wayne, my copy and paste on my signature above was not working and I manually entered it, forgetting to include my email address which is:  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)