Clocks, Watches/question dated 12/24/2011

John, I have the same problem as Jim Brennan (12/24/2011) I have a Jauch movement # 110cm.Can you steer me to a replacement spring or a modification of some kind?
Thank you for your consideration

Carmine, I don't really know how your question fell throught the cracks, but I just was reminded by Allexperts that I had not send an answer.

I would imagine that by the replacement spring you are referring to the suspension spring at the top of the pendulum assembly.  And what type of modification are you looking for? Let me know and I'll check on what you need next Tuesday as I will be out of the shop on Monday.  

And I am sorry about not getting back with you sooner.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Carmine, I have misplaced the reference material on the suspension spring/hanger for the Jauch Pendell 110cm movement.  However I think I know the correct suspension spring.  The number listed in the Timesavers catalog is #11080, but before you ordere, wait until I make sure.  I have sent an inquiry to my Internet Clocksmiths members to see if any can verify my choice.  You can Google Timesavers for contact information either for catalog and On-line ordering or an 800 number.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)