Clocks, Watches/FHS mantle clock

Question
FHS mechanical mantle clock: 68  340-020 Germany,3 key winds on front, and a white label on back door (1/09/2). I removed clock to clean and oiled with WD40 and have it running again but it loses 2 minutes /day. The back shows a '-' and a '+' on both sides of the wheel that goes back and forth, BUT, there is no adjusting screw. How do I make it go faster?

Answer
Edward, since your clock is a Hermle, manufactured in 1968, it probably has the earlier floating balance regulator rather than the balance wheel.  The difference is that the floating balance has a vertical spiral coil spring and the balance wheel has a horizontal hairspring like a watch.  If yours is the floating balance, the wheel must be held firmly and one of the three prongs should be moved carefully to your right toward the (+) to increase the speed.  If you run out of adjustment and it doesn't increase in speed, it would need to be serviced by an experienced clockmaker.  

I do need to point out that WD-40 is something I use for a multitude of applications, but not on clocks.  First, it is not a lubricant but a water displacement solution.  It does not lubricate the clock surfaces, but softens up the oils and greases already present.  And if the clock has gotten to this condition of hardened lubricants, there will be worn steel and brass particles mixed in and it just accelerates any wear.  Unfortunately, when we take a clock in for repair in which WD-40, silicone or similar chemicals, we have to manually clean the chemicals off, taking two or three cleanings to remove it all.  If we don't it will contaminate our cleaning solutions so we have to make sure it has all been removed.  This sometimes can approach double the service charge.  I don't mean to be negative about this, but some clockmakers will not event take them in if they detect these chemicals. But if you can speed it up by adjusting the floating balance prongs, it could run for some time before it needs restoring.  

Good luck, and if you do have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman