Clocks, Watches/Identifying the clocksmith

I was recently given an antique clock by my mother.  It originally belonged to my aunt and she received it during world war II when she was stationed in Europe by a man who had a basement full of clocks. Long story short she was a nurse and had helped him and in return he told her to take any clock she wanted.   I am trying to identify who made the clock.  It is a pendulum wall clock and inside of the case it has the initials of G.W. on a gold plate.  There is also a date stamped on the upper right and left corners inside of the case with a date of Oct 1. and it is either 1907 or 1807.  It is hard to read.  Can you tell me what clock maker used these initials.

Sandy, I do not have a reference to "G.W."  I would really need to see a photo of the front of the clock, the gold plate and, if possible, a photo of the back of the movement.  If you can, please reply to my shop email address below.  I am going to "Vacation" status on Allexperts as I will be in Guatemala for a week on a mission trip drilling fresh-water wells in the villages.  I can probably pick up your reply on my Droid.

There is a history of names on clocks, as the early ones had the names of the makers who usually made the movements and cases.  They would also sub out some components such as dials, chimes, pendulums, weights, etc.  Makers usually put their names on the movement or dials, and I don't know of many that would put the name on a plate.  Some put no identification on their clocks.  A lot have been identified by advanced research noting the methods of the makers.

I would say that since WWII, the movement makers have put their names on the movements, but they would also put the names of the companies they to which they supply the movements for large and continuing purchases.   But we don't always know. The dates of your clock could fall into any of the earlier situations.  If I can't come up with any information, I will pass the information on to the members of my Internet Clocksmiths Group and see if anyone might be able to shed some light.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)