Clocks, Watches/Montogomery Ward's Clock

Question
Hi I just bought a Montgomery wards clock model # CCM 9090A.  It does not work, but has all the "guts" with it.  Was wondering if its worth fixing it up or if I should just put a battery clock in it to run the hands.  I was going to paint it and make shelves where the weights hung.  I don't want to do that if its worth $$  What do you know about this Model and what do you think I should do?  Thanks, Stacy

Answer
Shaby Chic Clock
Shaby Chic Clock  

Quartz mod
Quartz mod  
Stacy, many times I get the question on a clock being worth fixing.  My answer is, "Let me tell you how much it will cost to fix it and you tell me if it is worth fixing."  Many clocks are very inexpensive, but there is a lot of family sentimentality associated with the clock.  In your case, you just bought the clock, and most of the Montgomery Ward clocks I have seen were of the economy value.  Some even have parts made of a plastic foam material with a wood grain finish.  I will say that the parts looked realistic!  In your case, the restoring of the movement could be a few times what the clock would be worth.  It would be many years before the clock would be so rare that it would be a "collectable" item.  

Our general rule is that most of the time we do not alter clocks, except in unusual cases, as the clock could be devalued.

With that being said, if you would want to modify your clock, it would probably add to the value rather than devaluing it.  I bought a clock at an estate sale that had been made from a kit but the finish was not good at all.  I put a "Shabby Chic" finish on it and am installing a quality quartz chiming movement with a pendulum driver.  The movement has cathedral chimes, volume control, auto night off, and 4 different tunes.  I will remove the weight fillers (heavy) and hang the weights from hooks as non-functional decorations. I will attach a couple of photos.  I can give you the information on the components I am using.  If you would like to do this, reply to my shop email address below and I can give you some additional information.  With shelves you would not to have to install the pendulum driver and weights.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman