Clocks, Watches/Ansonia 1050-021

Question
John- I have just received my mother's Ansonia 1050-021 mantel clock. It has been in storage for 2 years. I have read some of your other posts so I now know how to wind it, but I do not know how to set the time. Before I try to wind it, how do I set the time? Is there a manual?  Hal

Answer
Hal, the movement was made by Hermle with the Ansonia name on it.  To set the time, the minute hand is moved to set the clock to the correct time.  It is a "safe-back" clock, meaning the minute hand can be turned clockwise or counter clockwise.  You do not have to wait for each chime function to finish while setting.  There is a chance that the chime and hour strike will not be synchronized when you finish setting it.  It will automatically correct itself within one or two hours.  If the strike is not striking the correct hour after the correcting takes place, wait until the hour strikes and count the number of strikes.  Then carefully slip the hour hand to the hour that just struck.  If you have any more questions, get back with me.  There are owner's manuals available.  I am out of my shop this week, but will check next week to see what I can find.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman