Clocks, Watches/cuckoo clock problem

I have a 8-days cuckoo clock made in Germany. Recently, I removed it from the wall and fixed the chain stuck problem. However, when I put it back on the wall and put the weight on ( the most right side weight when facing the clock) , the cuckoo keeps cuckooing and didn't stop. I can see the chain is moving down as it keeps cuckooing. May I know the problem and how to fix it? Thank you.

Chong, I'm not sure what stuck the mechanism and what was done to fix it, but there are a couple of reasons that the cuckoo/strike keeps running.  One is that there is a stopping mechanism which is a pin on a wheel that engages a lever when the proper number of strikes has finished.  It could be that the pin has broken off.  There are other factors, such as the rack which is lifted one tooth at a time for the number of strikes.  A pin can be broken on the cam called a gathering pallet. And there has to be the alignment of the strike mechanism which includes a number of levers and tabs. Without seeing it in operation, I just cannot pinpoint what the problem might be.  It would be best to have an experienced clockmaker look at it if there is one in your area.  Sorry I could not help you more, but if you do have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)