Clocks, Watches/forestville mantel clock

Question
QUESTION: i have a forestville mantel clock its got three windup holes on face works great but it keeps gaining 10 minutes in 7 days can i somehow adjust something so it doesnt gain on me please inform me as to what i can do thanks

ANSWER: Lawrence, I will need the model of the movement to determine the type of regulator.  I think that Forestville used Hermle movements.  If you will look at the back of the movement and give me the information you find, I can tell you how it is regulated.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: 340-020 fhs Germany with 80 on top of the fhs

ANSWER: Your clock movement was made for Forestville by Hermle in 1980 and has a balance assembly instead of a pendulum for regulation.  It is located at the top center of the movement looking from the back.  Yours is probably an earlier floating balance, but could be a later balance wheel type.  Either type can be adjusted, but they can also have gummy lubricants or worn parts which would reduce the swing of the wheel and actually cause the clock to run fast.  I will give you instructions on both types, and if the adjustment doesn't help, the clock needs to be taken to a clockmaker who is experienced in these balance assemblies. Here are the adjustments:

Floating balance.  The floating balance can be identified by having a vertical spiral spring,  The actual balance wheel has a three-pronged part on top of it.  CAREFULLY hold the wheel with one hand and use something like a small screwdriver to rotate the prong part clockwise.  This will slow the speed.  It can be adjusted back and forth until the regulation is within a few minutes a week.  Sometimes it might be right on or can be adjusted a little more.

Balance wheel.  The balance wheel has a horizontal hairspring like a watch.  It is adjusted by turning a small threaded post with a slot in it using a small screwdriver.  The threaded post is located at the upper right portion of the balance wheel assembly.  One complete turn of the screw clockwise will slow the clock down one minute per day.  This would get it pretty close.  You can then turn it partial turns to fine tune it.  

On both adjustments the clock will have to be monitored maybe once a day to see if the adjustment is correct.  The balance wheel was used in place of the floating balance due to the supplying factory closing down, which is a rather long but interesting story.  The balance wheel is a little more difficult to adjust and keep in adjustment.  Let me know how it works out and if you have any more questions get back with me.

John Newman  

QUESTION: John men has the vertical spring but I'm wondering now do I have to take movement out I see spring on top but no way I can get up there

Answer
If the floating balance cannot be accessed while the movement is in the case, then the movement would have to be removed.  You would need to support the movement in a manner that it would run with the hands on so you could see the results of your adjustment before putting it back in the case.

John Newman

Clocks, Watches

John Newman