Clocks, Watches/H/H Grandfather Clock Model 610-599

Question
Hi John,My clock has trouble with the chime cycle.Sometimes it will chime,then the clock will stop running in the chime mode.If I put the lever in silent mode, the clock will run fine,when I put it back in chime it will run for awhile and stop.if I go to advance the minute hand,it feels jammed,so I turn it backwards,it will free up,why?So I just keep it in the silent mode and it runs wonderful.Thank You,Stanley Wolak Palm Coast FL.

Answer
Stanley, I believe you are talking about a Howard Miller clock. Sometimes they use different model movements in the same case, so I am not sure of the movement model.  But I don't think that makes a difference in the problem you are having with your clock, as it is rather common with all clocks.  Has your clock been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years?  If not it could be that the oils have become gummy and/or there are some worn parts.  The chimes become intermittent and finally stop before other problems happen such as the clock stopping.  There could be a couple of causes for the hand jamming, bit it is most likely that the chime is locking up while a lever is lifting which will cause the hand to jam. It would probably need to be looked at by an experienced clockmaker to service service it, which includes possibly removing it from the case, cleaning, inspecting oiling, adjusting and testing.  I have had customers oil their own clocks, but sometimes it has proven too difficult, as it is rather complicated to remove and reinstall the movement from the case on some models.  And if there are other problems it would be best to have a clockmaker do the job.  If you don't know of any clockmakers in your area, I know one that is in Melrose, east of Gainsville which would be around 50 miles from you.  These are just some suggestions and if you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman