Clocks, Watches/Pendulum

Hi - I knocked the pendulum off while raising the weights. Have been unable to reattach. It's a barwick div of Howard miller. Model #4885, C29539 bought in nov 1974
Thank you debbie

Debbie, reattaching a pendulum is rather easy IF all the components are in order and have not been knocked out of position. So I will explain what needs to be checked.  That could be a little difficult.

There is a horizontal suspension post about 1/4 inch in diameter at the top back of the clock movement.  A suspension spring is attached to it.  The suspension spring is a little smaller than a postage stamp and has two vertical silver straps in the middle.  If the movement is an Urgos, the suspension spring could be a little larger and have black plastic ends, top and bottom.  From the suspension spring is attached a hanger which is about 6 inches long.  It connects in the middle to an arm that comes out of the top back of the clock.  The bottom end of the hanger can have a pin in it or a hole.  The top of the pendulum hook attaches to that.  You have to be able to see this from either the side (does the clock have side doors or access panels?) or from the back (does the clock have a back panel that is removable?)  If everything is in order, the pendulum is just attached to the hanger.  It there are any parts that are out of position or damaged, they would have to be corrected.

If that is the case, I would need to know the model of the movement.  The clock information does not always reflect the model of the movement and there is very little cross-reference information on Barwick clocks.  I would need the information found on the back plate of the movement to determine the parts, or better yet a clear photo of the back of the movement.  Then I can see what needs to be done.  You can send it to my clock shop email address below.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)