Clocks, Watches/Seikoasha Regulator Clock

Question
I bought a Seikosha (sp) regulator wall clock at a thrift store.  After cleaning the movement in a soap and water bath (it felt like it had seen a fire) and oiling the movement with clock oil (obtained earlier for use on other clocks) the clock works run.  However, even with the pendulum adjustment as short as possible the clock loses about 2hr every 12 hrs.  Is there another adjustment that I can make or should I look into another deeper cleaning of the works?

Answer
Mike, 10 minutes per hour is a major regulation problem.  A normal pendulum adjustment would not be able to correct this.  My first question is it the original pendulum to the clock?  Does the pendulum bob center in the front window?  If you could send me a photo of the clock showing the pendulum hanging I migh be able to help you further.  My clock shop email address is below.  I have a couple of clocks which I think might be similar to yours, one being a Seiko and I am not sure of the other right now.

As far as cleaning, a clock should be cleaned throughly and we recommend proper cleaning solutions, not soap and water.  Some soaps will leave residue, but if yours was cleaned throughly it might be okay.  When we clean a clock we dismantle it to insure all areas are covered, such as mainsprings, centershaft and hour tube, bushings and levers.

If it is running, the cleaning and oiling would have nothing to do with the problem of running slow.  If a suspension spring is too thin, the pendulum will swing further, slowing down the clock.  But not the rate you mention.   Right now I just don't know.  If it is running too fast, there are more common causes for that.

Send me a photo.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman