Clocks, Watches/C.T. Cylinder

Question
The chimes are striking fine on 3 of the arms. The 3rd arm from the back is not striking on every cycle. It looks like the cam wheel striker and the striker lever are not in line for that striker. The other 3 are striking but even on those it is not a good direct hit by the cam wheel on the striker lever on those. My clock is an Emperor model 101 that I purchased in 1976 and it has been in use since that time with only light oiling several times. Is there an adjustment for this misalignment or do I need to replace the complete cylinder? I saw there are 2 nuts on the unit that appear to hold it to the back of the clock body and they are not turned equally on both the top and bottom nuts. Would loosening one and tightening the other help to bring the striker and the cam into line?
 Any help would be appreciated.
   Ron Nicely

Answer
Ron, these chime drums and hammers were built with no lateral adjustments.  If something has worn or come loose, the chime drum or hammer tails would become misaligned.  Other factors are that the chime drum tabs or the hammer tails have worn to a point that they slip off when lifting.  I'm not sure this would help much, but if you could send me a clear fairly closeup photo of the alignment of that section, I might be able to tell something.  Please send it to my clock shop email address below.  The Emperor 101 is a Hermle 451-050 94cm movement and they have revised it over the years.  Your movement is around 40 years old.  The chime mechanism is on of the areas that has changed a couple of times, so it might be a little difficult to obtain the components to resolve the problem. But maybe I can tell enough from a photo to help you. One note of caution, and that is that when replacing these components, the complete series of adjustments has to be made.  This includes the alignment of the chime hammers, their rest position and the "at rest" position of the detent springs, which takes quite a bit of instruction and familiarity with the process.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman