Clocks, Watches/Emperor Clock Works

I have a emperor clock works tempus fudgit model 101 that I purchased new in Jan. of 1983. I purchased these works with the intent of building a cabinet for my wife when I first started my woodshop. Problem was we were just married a few years and starting a family so never seemed to have the extra money when shop was slow and never had time to build when times were good. Now after 32yrs I've opened the boxes with the intent of building for our Daughter for her house. Is it possible to get specifications still on this unit so as i don't have problems fitting the works into the case i build correctly. Also works look like new since I've just opened them,no corrosion or excessive dust in the works unit. If i contact Emperor clock would they possibly still have a users guide on this or kit specifications that I could buy to build my cabinet to so all fits. Am i wrong to assume these works should still work other than needing some minor adjustments and normal cleaning of the unit itself.
Wife and I are very excited to do this for our daughter. Hope you can help with some information for us.

Thanks in advance:
Dennis P Logar
McDonald, Ohio

I'm on long holiday now and will get back to you Tuesday. If you contact Emperor they will refer you to me anyhow as I am the Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant. I do have parts,drawings and instructions for your clock and will be glad to help you.

John Newman

Dennis, I have returned home and now have the use of my computer.  If I understand the question, you have the boxes for the movement/dial/wood mounting assembly, chime assembly, pendulum, weights and weight fillers.  You did not mention the case kit, so I would take it to be that you will making the case yourself.  If this is correct, will you be making it from the plans for the Emperor Model 120 (this is the case number, not the movement number), or are you going to design it yourself?  I can get you the plans, the Assembly Instructions Manual (using the kit or parts you make from plans), the Movement Installation and Maintenance Manual, and I do have the complete hardware kit.  You probably have some of these already.  There were some revisions to the cases and manuals over the years, so we can make sure you get the correct parts and instructions for what you want to build.

In all probability, the movement will not need any adjustments, just a light oiling.  I can send you instructions on that when it comes time to perform that step.

Without going into any more detail, let me know the answers to the items above and we can start planning from there.  If you will, please reply to my shop email address below, as we will probably be exchanging photos and diagrams, and it will help free up the Allexperts question queue, of which I have a limited number per day.

We'll see what we can do to get this made for your daughter.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)