Clocks, Watches/Chain Re-attachment for Ridgeway Grandmother Clock

QUESTION: I recently received my Grandmother's old Ridgeway Grandmother clock, which has worked for many years until today.  The owner's manual has the numbers 7-2714 written on it, but I don't know what these numbers represent.  When I tried to attach the pendulum, the chain on the right side of the clock fell off and the chains on the left side are hanging low, approximately three inches from the floor.  How do I reattach the chain that fell off?

ANSWER: Amy, I can tell you generally how to reattach the chain, but if you look on the back plate of the movement and give me the information found there, I can identify it and be more precise.  How do you access the movement?  Are there side doors or is there a removable panel behind the movement?  When you say the chains on the left side are hanging low, we need to clarify that.  As you look at the clock from the front, the weight on the left powers the strike, the center is for the time and the right one is for the chime.  There are only three chains but they have two ends each so you would see 6 chains hanging down. Can you hang the center and left weights okay?  If not, it might be that the ends of the center and left chains are up in the clock.  That takes some more effort to get them back to normal.  Let me know the situation and we'll see what we can do.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clock Movement
Clock Movement  

QUESTION: Hi John and thank you for your amazingly fast response! There are no side panels unfortunately, but there is a removable back panel that doesn't reveal too much. There is a number at the bottom center of the movement that says "8924." There is one on the left side that says "130013228."  The numbers "B122/16" are stamped into the very center above the movement and I have included pictures of the clock for your convenience. There appears to be no center chain and there are two hanging on the left side of the clock. I haven't even tried to attach the weights because the instruction manual says to install them after the pendulum and I don't seem to have the chains in the correct locations.

Amy, good photo of the back of the movement.  It IS an old(er) Ridgeway clock.  The movement was manufactured by Urgos, and the later models have a "UW" in the information, but I guess not that one. Looking from the front of the clock, the left and center chains have been pulled up until the ends have probably jammed up in the works.  To remove and reinstall them along with the right chain, the movement is probably going to have to be removed from the case.  This would involve removing the hands and, as the chime assembly (above the movement secured with the 4 screws) is attached to the dial frame, it would also have to be removed.  If the dial is attached to the movement it will have to be removed along with the movement.  Then the chains can be corrected.  I have corrected some jammed chains without having to take the movement out, but it is rather complicated.  It looks like you are going to have to have an experienced clockmaker look at it.  If you don't know of any near you, let me know the area in which you live and I'll see if any of our Internet Clocksmiths members might be near you.  For confidentiality, I do not give or ask for contact information over the Internet, so if you need to contact me, my clock shop email address is below.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)