Clocks, Watches/E. Ingraham & Co

Hi I have a mantel clock that we think has been wound to tight it has 2 key holes in the face and 1 key I set the time but the pendulum does not keep going it does keep time. Looking at the face the key hole on the right I think is for winding what is the other keyhole for?

Hi Sylvia,

The left key hole is for the striking of the hour. The right key hole is for the time keeping.
There are many reasons clocks don't work.
-They are not level...or if they are then the clock is out of beat.
You need to listen to the tick tock. It should be even tick...tock...tick...tock...
Not tick.tock.....tick. tock....
-The clock may be dirty and need oil.
-The clock may be worn out.

The best thing to do is to bring it to a clock shop and
have them evaluate the clock.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist