Clocks, Watches/Mantle clock

Mantle clock
Mantle clock  

Mantle clock
Mantle clock  
Dear John,
         I have been given a mantle clock but it is missing a suspension spring and retaining screw.
The movement has 87 W. HAID. no (0) jewels. unadjusted made in west Germany
791-081.  16.5 cm over 167.700. I wonder if you could advise me on which suspension spring and retaining screw I require and where I can purchase them from?
Thank you.

791 Movement
791 Movement  
Robert, The movement for your Haid clock was made by Hermle.  I have a couple in my shop for parts and will check Monday on the suspension spring and screw.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

I have a supply of parts for these 791 movements, but no documetation.  In the box is one suspension spring and I believe it is the one.  I also have the retaining screw.  You can Google Timesavers and the part number for the suspension spring is 20803.  The part number for the screw is 15796. I would suggest buyint 2 suspension springs.  They are delicate and if one is broken while installing, you have a spare or for later replacement. As I say, I am rather sure the suspension spring is the correct one.  Attached is a photo of the suspension spring and screw on the movement. I do not solicit sales or service on Allexperts, but if you will contact me at my shop email address below, I can give you details on the parts with my email and phone support for installing parts.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)