Clocks, Watches/Wall clock, Saint Charles Regular three key hole octagon

Saint Charles Regulator
Saint Charles Regulato  
Just wanted to know about this clock I just inherited

I am going to leave your name out of my answer, as I will put this up for general informtion.

Craft Products in St. Charles, Illinois was the company that had a line of clocks called Heirloom clocks and they prduced what they called the St. Charles Collection.  I believe they only provided kits, but I could be mistaken.  Your Regulator was called "The Amherst" and has an 8-day Westminster chime movement which was manufactured by Hermle and is the model 341. It was offered around the mid 1980's.  You can actually find the date by looking at the information on the back of the movement.  You will see a block of information starting with a two digit number on the first line.  If it has an 84 that would mean that it was manufactured in 1984.  In 1998, Hermle changed to alpha characters, so "A" would indicate 1988, "B" for 1989, etc. The complete kit was $149. At today's prices the movement alone would run around $250.  It looks like the clock was well put together.  As far as maintenance goes, it is my recommendation that a clock should be serviced about every 7 to 10 years.  That's about all I can tell you and I hope you enjoy it.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)