Clocks, Watches/how old is my clock/ refinish it?

Question
Waltham Tempus Fugit Mantle Clock 31 day pendulum key wind up clock. How old is it? And how should I refinish it?

Answer
Chris, I would need more information on your clock, like a photo.  You can send it to my shop email address below.  I imagine you are referring to refinishing the case. Depending on the complexity of the trim, etc, there are different ways of refinishing one. The original finish is usually done with a lacquer stain which does not penetrate the wood. When it gets nicked, the lighter wood will show up and it is rather difficult to touch up.  In refinishing, it would probably need to be completely stripped, sanded, stained and the final coat of varnish applied.  It is possible that different kinds of wood or composite materials could have been used in the various parts, so I don't know how it would come out.  I have never refinished one, as customers usually don't want to put that much into it.  But let me see a photo and maybe I an tell you a little more.  

For a little more information, it is an Asian clock with an inexpensive movement in it.  The name "Waltham" is taken from the American watch (and later clock) company and is not connected with these clocks.  These types of clocks have been made for a long time and still are.  I know of no way they are dated.  They were probably hundreds of thousands made in the mid to late 1900's.  You can go to eBay enter Waltham chiming clock.  To get more information on the types.  Go to complete listings and see what they are going for.  The numbers in green are the sold prices.  Of course, that means nothing to a clock owner whose clock has sentimental value.  I will wait for your photo.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman