Clocks, Watches/re-attach brass cable to movement

Question
We have a Howard Miller Gavin Long case grandfather clock and the center cable came loose from the movement as we were rewinding the three pendulum weights. When the cable came loose the center weight crashed to the bottom. The pully and weight were together but the brass cable  end was frayed and bent 90 degrees. how do i re-attach cable to movement and rewind cable on drum?

Answer
Roy, If the cable end is frayed and bent, a new cable would have to be installed.  Frayed or crimped cables are subject to breakage and the weight would crash to the bottom again.  If the cable was in good condition it could be reinstalled.  Usually when one detaches, it has detached from the anchor point up in the base of the movement or the mounting board (2 types depending on the model and the design of the movement.  If it has detached from the cable drum, the movement will probably have to be removed from the case.  The cable will have to be rethreaded and a set of gears on the front of the movement (called the stop works)has to be synchronized to allow proper winding.  This requires the services of an experienced clockmaker who is familiar with syncing the stop works.  I have worked on many movements in which the stop works have been removed because the clockmaker did not know how to set them.  The stop works gears control how high the weights can be wound and how far they drop before touching the bottom of the case or running out of cable.  If done incorectly the weights cannot be wound all the way or they will not drob far enough to run the clock a full 8 days.  I believe your movement would be a Kieninger, as it is a Howard Miller clock.  I know that another manufacturer redesigned one of their cable drive movements and the specifications changed.  Just to insure the correct cable is selected, the diameter and length of the cable have to be known along with the type of end tabs used.

Sorry I could not give you a quick fix answer.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman