Clocks, Watches/Rods inside the grandfather clock weights

QUESTION: Hi, my grandson decided to unscrew the little hooks at the top of the weights of my Howard Miller grandfather clock, and pulled the rods all the way out.  I am finding it impossible to get the rod aligned correctly so it can pass through the top hole. Is there a trick to this? Can the end caps be removed so I can see what it is I am trying to do?

Thank you so much!

That little rascal. I have a few myself...

Yes, you can take the top and bottom caps off so you can see better.
I find it easier to put the bottom in first then the top cap.
But whatever works best for you.
Just wipe off any finger prints you get on the weight shells or it will tarnish
in the future. Or use a rag to hold the weights while you work.

Sometimes you need to unscrew the other end to give you a bit more thread to
work with.

Good luck and God bless our little rascals.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply. But I do not see any  anyway to remove the bottom or top and caps on the weight.  I'm afraid the  brass end caps will bend if I try to pry them off. I don't see a way for them to unscrew. Do you have any suggestions on how to get them off? Note, I am not talking about the pice that  screws on to the rod, I'm talking about the top and bottom caps on the weights itself.

Thank You!

Hi Rip,

You may have to use a little persuasion to get them off. Maybe using the weight itself with a shake downward or upward may help loosen them. Or you can use the rod to push from the inside.
I haven't had any that bent when I took them off...yet. I've also used my thumb nail to start them moving.

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist