Clocks, Watches/How to attach a pendulum to a Viking Grandmother's Clock

Question
Dear Mr. Newmann,

My father purchased a Viking clock kit long ago to assemble for my late mother. I inherited the clock and the assembly instructions. HOWEVER, there is nothing in those instructions on how to attach the pendulum.  I just moved the clock cross country and I removed the weights before moving it. The mover removed the pendulum, but did not re-insert it for me.

So, I know how the weights attach and suspect that there is something tiny somewhere above and behind the weight chains where the pendulum attaches...however, I can't find it. Can you help me out?

Prue

Answer
Prue, there is a horizontal post coming out of the top back of the clock movement.  From it is attached a suspension spring, which is a little smaller than a small postage stamp. from it hangs the hanger, sometimes called a leader.  It connects with a vertical arm coming out of a hole in the top back of the movement.  The pendulum is hung from the hanger.  All of these items have to be there and in good condition.   Often we find that the hanger is missing because it has become disconnected during moving and has fallen to the bottom of the clock. I cannot tell you what the parts look like exactly because I do not know the model of the movement.  If you will look through the back of the clock, you will find some information on the back plate of the movement.  Send me that information, and it will really help if you can include a clear photo of the back of the movement so I can see what needs to be done.  Do you have the weights hung in the correct position?  They are most likely of different weight and will have to be correct for the clock to work.  I can probably tell when I know the model of the clock and the type of pendulum, such as wood stick or Lyre metal pendulum and the diameter of the bob at the bottom.  You can reply to my email address below in which I can see the photo better and it will free up the Allexperts question queue, as I have a limited number of questions per day.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Clocks, Watches

John Newman