Clocks, Watches/Chime sound

Question
QUESTION: I have a Viking movement 111/133 with moving moon dial in my grandfather clock. It keeps time fine, and chimes and strikes correctly, but the chimes sound like they are in slow motion. Could you tell me what may be causing this?

ANSWER: Jean, for detailed diagnostics I usually need the model number of the movement (found on the back plate of the movement) because there is very little cross reference to the manufacturer's model numbers, such as you have given me.  However, I should be able to give you some general information on your chime problem.  There could be a couple of causes for your chimes running slow.  One is that the movement hasn't been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years.  The lubricants become old and gummy and/or parts can be worn.  This usually happens gradually, until the chimes stop working.  The other cause can be that the weights are hung incorrectly.  The chime function usually takes a heavier weight than the other two.  The general rule is that if one weight is heavier than the other two equal ones, it hangs on the right (as you face the clock.)  If one weight is lighter than the other two equal ones, it hangs on the left.  The difference here is that a pendulum can be a lighter type such as a wood stick with a small to medium pendulum bob, or it can be a heavier one such as a Lyre pendulum with metal rods and a large bob.  This can require a weight (in the center) as heavy as the chime weight.  If the weights are hung correctly and the chime is running slow, It might need to be looked at by an experienced clockmaker.  If you don't know of one in your area, I can check to see if there might be one of our Internet Clocksmiths Group near you.  Let me know.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Please check to see if one of your Internet Clocksmiths Group is near me because my clock has not been service in several years.

ANSWER: Jean, I need to know the area in which you live.

John Newman

QUESTION: Sunbury, Pa

Answer
Jean, I could find no one in PA on my current list.  I sent out an inquiry to see if anyone knows of a clockmaker in the area that they could recommend. If they do I will contact you again.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman