Clocks, Watches/Chime strikers off center

Question
Clock movment
Clock movment  
QUESTION: I have a Hamilton, Lancester County Wall clock. When I set the lever so it chimes on the 15 minute and hour when the strikers strike each bar they sound dull. I do not know how to adjust all the.strikers so I can move them 1/16 - 1/8" so they are lined up. Please help. Clock was a gift.

ANSWER: Thomas, I do not have the chime hammer alignment procedure on my laptop which I am using now.  When I get to my shop tomorrow I will send it to you. I usually cannot identify clock movements from manufacturer's case models, but your photo helped me identify it.  After I send you the instructions, we might have to discuss this on the phone.  The reason is that this particular model has the side hammers which use flat "rods" rather than round wires.  I believe this was done by the manufacturer to make it more difficult for them to get out of alignment.  But when the do, it is a pain to put them back for quality sound.  And they are in a position in the case that allows very little access to work with them.  I have had some difficult moments aligning these hammers, having to take the movement out, forming the rods, and reinstalling the movement over and over to get each one right.  One possibility is that the movement has shifted a little and they all are not hitting the rods correctly.  This means they could be aligned properly and the problem is caused by the misalignment of the movement.  I will contact you tomorrow.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: John after your e-mail I looked and the striker rods are round and not flat. There are two screws/nuts that I loosened up and the whole face moved along with the hammers but won't move enough to give a nice sound so I have gained nothing by doing that.... have you discovered anything?
Thanks
Tom

Answer
I checked your picture again.  Just for clarity, I was referring to the flat brass arms and hammers and not the round black chime rods themselves.  I was basing my answer on the 8 brass chime hammers just above the dial on the right.  It looks like a Hermle 1051-030 movement.  This movement has 8 hammers on the side and they are made of flat brass arms.  It could be that you have a movement made by another manufacturer.  I do know that Hamilton used a lot of Hermle movements.  It looks like it would be a rather difficult job to make these adjustments because of the close proximity of space in which the hammers are located.  It looks like a hands-on project for an experienced clockmaker. Sorry I cannot help you more.  Do you know of a clockmaker near you?  If not, let me know the area in which you live and I'll check to see if there might be one of our Internet Clocksmiths members near you.  Reply to my shop email address below and I will get back with you.  This also helps free up the Allexperts question queue of which I have a limited number per day.  Thanks.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman