Clocks, Watches/Info on Watch movements

Hi John,

I am interested in buying an analogue watch that can automatically change the date, can count the days on leap years, day, etc. This sort of watch capability is usually found in digital watches but I don't like digital watches.

Can you let me know if there are any such analogue watches ?

Jonathan, I personally do not know of an analog mechanical watch that would have those features.  A digital watch can do that because of the programming capabilities, which would be rather complicated for a mechanical watch. The expense would be rather high to design and build on of these.  I Googled "Programmable Mechanical Watches" and did not find anything in the first few hits that would meet your requirements.  You might want to check those Websites and do some additional searching.

I decided to go ahead and answer your question according my opinion (limited) to the above answer.  However, as I have stated that watches are not my area of expertise., I would suggest that you go to the "Watch" category and look for one of the Allexperts members there.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)