Clocks, Watches/Seth Thomas Mantel Clock

Question
Movement picture
Movement picture  

Clock face
Clock face  
We just inherited a Seth Thomas Mantel Clock after my father-in-law's passing. He religiously wound the clock  and it kept very good time. Unfortunately we don't know how to wind it, which of the 2 receptacles to use (what is the other one for) or how many turns. We don't want to damage it. On it are the following details. Lyndon-2W, model no E531-000. 8 Day Keywound clock with A-200 Series Strike movement. On the movement it says that it was manufactured in Germany for Seth Thomas clock and has the numbers A205-000, 5113 on it.  Also stamped on the direction page is 6003. I have attached 2 pictures.  
Thank you for your help.

Answer
John, the movement you have is what I call a modern production movement and was manufactured by Hermle.  As with many large resellers, Hermle will put their name and number on the movements.  The movement is a time and strike with no chimes.  That means the clock strikes out the hour and strikes once on the half hour.  The right winding arbor is for the time and the left one is for the strike.  I am pretty sure that both are wound in a clockwise direction.  Make sure the key you are using fits over the winding a arbor without any binding and is not too loose.  It should not have more that about 5 degrees of play.  If it is too loose it is the wrong key and can slip, causing damage to the clock or personal injury.  When winding, wind until you feel an definite increased resistance.  You cannot overwind a clock unless you apply undue strength, bending the key or snapping something in the clock.  I hope this helps.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman