Clocks, Watches/Fast running clock

Question
I have a Howard Millere Medford mantel clock that constantly speeds up.  I have the little speed regulating level on the slowest position, but it still gains about 15 minutes a day.  I had taken it to a repair shop, but the problem returned about a year later.  Is there anything I could do or adjust to slow it down?

Answer
Dan, I believe the movement in the Medford is a battery-powered quartz unit.  If I am not mistaken, the movement is made by another company for clock manufacturers such as Howard Miller.  If it is the one I am thinking of, a decision was made to discontinue that movement.  I now install a movement called the Quad, manufactured by another company, and it is the best I have seen yet and I have had no failures.  Very seldom do clock repair shops try to repair the quartz movements because the manufacturers do not supply parts or diagnostics, as the movements are considered throwaway products. If we attempt to repair one, the normal shop rates can soon reach or surpass the cost of replacing the movement.  As the timing of these movements is controlled by a quartz crystal, that part is usually very accurate until other parts of the movement fail, such as electronics or mechanical breakdown causing undue friction.  If you will reply to my clock shop email address below, I can discuss the sources of these replacement movements and the installation.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

(Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis
other than Allexperts follow ups.)

Dan, I was assuming that from catalog information that you had a battery powered quartz movement.  I might have been wrong.  It might be a mechanical wind-up.  Let me know.  Actually it would be helpful if you can send a photo of the back of the movement to my email address.

John Newman

Clocks, Watches

John Newman