Clocks, Watches/Jauch 77

QUESTION: Is there a replacement movement compatible with existing weights and pendulum for my Emperor model 120 series clock?

ANSWER: Gary, no,  there is not a compatible movement with the existing weights.  Jauch has not been manufacturing movements for years.  The standard replacement is a Hermle 451-050H, with accessories for the conversion which includes mounting shims, pendulum top hook  and a 6.6# weight filler for the chime train.  The original dial and new movement are not compatible, so the dial is removed, the mounting posts are removed and the dial is attached to the case dial frame.  If the dial is a moving moon, the lever that drives the moon dial arm has to be modified slightly.  The conversion kits are available from suppliers and I do have them with the modified levers.  If you need more details, contact me at my shop email address below.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
137 First St
Prattville, Alabama 36067

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

QUESTION: Seems complicated. Would you recommend the Emperor 100M Replacement Kit #208 as an easier installation option? All the extras seem to be included, and hopefully it fits the model 120 case.

Gary, there are considerations in both installations, depending on the skill level of the person doing the installation.  Price and appearance is another consideration. I have had people do both with no problems.  As I mentioned before, I will be glad to discuss the details with you, including pricing which I do not discuss on Allexperts. If you would contact me at my shop email address, we can go over it.  It will also help as I have a limited number of Allexperts questions per day and it will free up the question queue.  Thanks.

John Newman

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)