Clocks, Watches/E. Ingarham and Co.

I have ran across an old watch. It has beautiful ornate engravings around the edges of the encasement. I actually found the time piece in a catalog of theirs on page 6, and the item is #6. Its a beautiful wrist watch. The glass has yellowed. I was wondering if it was worth getting it to run, because it appears that the only thing wrong with it is the spring on wheel?

John, I usually do not answer questions concerning watches, as outlined in my Allexperts personal bio, stating that my experience is in clocks, not watches.  However, I think I can answer your question, which applies to watches as well as clocks. You might find a little more information by going back to Allexperts and looking in the Watch Experts category and asking one of them, but here is mine.

A customer will bring in a clock and ask me if it is worth fixing.  My answer is a question that I ask them.  "It will cost X number of dollars to fix your clock.  Do YOU think it is worth fixing?"  If they want to have it fixed for resale or based on the monetary value of the clock, that is one factor.  If the clock is a family heirloom (not necessarily expensive) or if it has sentimental value, that is another.  A significant number of clocks on which we work bring a repair fee that is more than the clock is worth on the market.  So, it is up to the customer.

Concerning your watch.  I believe you are referring to the "spring on the wheel" as the hairspring which regulates the timing of the watch.  It also could have a broken balance staff pivot on which the balance wheel rotates.  When a Watchmaker services a watch, it will usually be completely disassembled, inspected, cleaned, repaired, reassembled, tested and regulated.  To just repair an obvious broken part only would not guarantee the reliable running.

I would suggest that you take it to a watchmaker and get an estimate on the repair.  On your identification of the watch, I do not know which of "their" catalogs you are referring.  I do have a watch identification and price book and the range of E. Ingraham watches is from $30 to $150, with a couple of special ones going in the $250 area.  I think they were noted more for their clocks and did not make many watches in the high-end range.

I hope this helps a little.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)