Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller 612-437 mantle clock running fast

Adjustment mechanism 1
Adjustment mechanism 1  

Adjustment mechanism 2
Adjustment mechanism 2  
I've had this mantle clock for about 2 years and until the past 5 or 6 months, it kept the correct time.  It began to run fast so I adjusted the time adjustment lever inside the case to the minus side (down) It kept requiring increasing amounts of downward change to keep the clock from running fast.  Now it's at the bottom limit of its range and the clock is 'only' running about 2-3 minutes fast per week.  The movement is a Kieninger AEL01. The cabinet on which the clock rests is level in both directions.  What happened to cause this and how will it need to be corrected?  Can the brass screw in the center be turned to change the speed?  If so, how much?

see photo attached

do not touch the brass screw

if the two arms at "A" can be brought together by moving the upper arm counter clockwise, that will pick up more coil length and theoretically slow it down more

I am concerned with the kink in the hairspring coil at "B"---if any of the coils touch in the course of rotation, then all bets are off on regulation. you might try going back to the "+" to see if the coil spacing during rotation opens out(might slow the clock down)
Any dirt or dust between the coils allowing them to touch will upset the timekeeping as well.

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders

any mechanical clock question -no watches- no battery clock questions and no appraisals-ie: "how much is my clock worth?" type questions please! Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks 40 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner

43+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score....