Clocks, Watches/Sligh half grand father clock

Sligh clock - Ashby
Sligh clock - Ashby  
Dear Mr Newman,

I am sending you this email from my home in Daytona Beach, Florida.  The Sligh clock in question - see image - is in an office of mine in SW England.  A local clockmaker over there in England advises that the clock needs a new eight (8) part gong set.  He has been unable to source the said parts.  

I now understand that The Sligh company in Michigan has gone out of business.  Are you able to advise as to where I might find the required gong set?

The technical specs of the clock are as follows -
Model          0714-1-AN   
Movement      502-8691   
Registration no         

The clock was purchased by me new here in Daytona Beach in 1991.  Unfortunately, the vendor clockmaker has also ceased operations.

Any advice/pointers would be gratefully appreciated

Many thanks

Julian Ashby

Daytona Beach, FL 32118

March 23, 2016

Note:  Julian, below is the answer I gave a couple of days ago.  For some reason it did not leave my computer.  I apologize for the delay:

Julian, I don't think there will be too much of a problem in finding the gong assembly for your Sligh clock. We will have to do some detective work, though.  First I would need the measurement from the center shaft (the shaft on which the hands fit) to the floor (inside bottom) of the case. Than will give me the maximum length of the pendulum. Then I will need the model number of the clock movement.  The Sligh number cross reference is not available, as is with most manufacturers.  The model number of the movement should be found in the information on the back plate of the movement.  If you can gve me all the numbers and words you can find, I should be able to determine the model.  I would imagine that what he means by 8 part gong set is a cast iron base with 8 chime rods, either in line or 4 on one side and 4 on the other side.  There are clock suppliers that have parts such as this in stock.  The manufacturers usually did not make their own gong rod assemblies, pendulum, weights, dials, etc, but used sub vendors to supply them with standard designs.  Many of them are still being used.  Is it possible for you to send me a photo of the back of the movement including the chime rod assembly?  That would make it easier to identify.    If you will send it to my clock shop email address below, we can correspond better and it will help free up my Allexperts question queue of which I have a limited number per day. One more question and that is why the clockmaker said a new chime assembly was needed.  Were some of the rods bent or broken off?  There is one problem in replacing the complete assemblies.  Sometimes the suppliers of these units change the configurations slightly, such as relocating the mounting holes.  If a significant number of rods are broken, a complete set of tuned rods can be substituted for less cost than a complete unit.  Get back with me on the above items and we'll see what we can do.  You have a very nice looking clock!

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
137 First St
Prattville, Alabama 36067

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)