Clocks, Watches/wall clock

Question
I have a 57 inch very hand carved Sam Heung #680 stamped on the movement along with occupied korea as well. Can you tell me anything about my clock I can send you a picture if this would help.

Answer
Wendy, I have worked on a few of these Korean wall clocks.  I will admit that I have not ever seen an "Occupied Korea" label.  Of course there were a lot of "Occupied Japan" or "Made in Occupied Japan" to indicate that the manufacturing time was after WWII until the 1970's. I believe that was a regulation for products that were being exported to the USA.  I'm just not sure abut this with the Korean clocks.

Concerning your clock, it is probably a 31-day spring wound clock and would definitely be hand carved.  When I was doing some consulting with a factory in Yantai, China (West of Seoul, Korea, across the Gulf of Bohai/Yellow Sea), I watched some craftsmen hand carving pieces similar to your clock using various chisels and a sharpening stone next to them on the work bench.  Fascinating to watch! Your clock was made mostly for export and would probably have an inexpensive Korean movement it it.  I think they were manufactured from the early 1970's and they are possibly still being made today, but I am not sure.  If you send a photo to my clock shop email address below, I might be able to tell you a little more about it.  I have found one like I was thinking about on eBay.  It is item #252284290249.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Wendy, it might be best to upgrade my original answer.  I will have to say that I have never seen a clock such as yours.  From the photos you sent to my email address, it looks like it might be quite a bit older than the ones to which I was referring.  The "Occupied Inchon Korea" would indicate the time frame, which after doing a little research,  would have been the occupation of Korea by Japan from 1910 to 1945.  They called this the the Japanese Colonial Period.  I have a feeling that your clock might be a collector's item which could mean an increased value, but I have no idea in what that would be.  It is a very interesting clock!

John Newman

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman